Once THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) gets mentioned, most people assume you’re talking about the chemical component found in marijuana. However, many don’t know there are different classes of THC, one of which is delta-8 THC.delta-8 THC is becoming popular in the United States. Are you wondering whether this wellness product is worth a try? We’ve gathered all the things you need to know in this guide.
1. Delta-8 THC, Different From Delta-9 THC
Although pretty similar to delta-9 THC, delta-8 THC has a slightly different chemical structure, making it less potent. It doesn’t have the same kind of “high” as conventional marijuana.
After the 2018 Farm Bill was passed, weed and cannabidiol (CBD) connoisseurs realized they could legally derive delta-8 THC from hemp. The farm bill states that “cannabis with less than 0.3 percent” is technically considered hemp. And since delta-8 is less intense than delta-9, you can expect a less heady high.
Despite the different “high,” the benefits of delta-8 THC are still the same as its weed equivalents:
- Better appetite and digestion – Being more energizing than numbing, delta-8 fights everyday nausea and indigestion.
- Decrease pain – Delta-8 has potential analgesic properties and binds to the body’s pain-regulatory receptors.
- Support relaxation – Delta-8 exhibits anxiolytic effects, a “mild high” that can help ease stress and relaxing for the body.
- Improve brain health – With remarkable neuroprotective properties, delta-8 inhibits the release of adenylyl cyclase and regulates potassium and calcium channels in the central nervous system. This leads to improved cognitive functioning.
2. Delta-8 Gummies Can Give You a Bit of “High”
Contrary to CBDs, delta-8 gummies will give you only a bit of a “euphoric” feeling. However, the experience won’t be overly dazed, the same as with delta-9 THC. The euphoric feeling is light and much less intense, allowing you to enjoy the product more.
You do away with grogginess and spacing out and enjoy more desirable effects. You feel more energetic and focused on doing work. But you may also feel a slight sense of euphoria and feel more relaxed.
3. Delta-8 Gummies Are Generally Safe To Take
When taken in moderation, delta-8 gummies are generally safe. The side effects you may feel can be similar to the ones you experience with any cannabinoid, such as dry mouth, fatigue, and glassy eyes.
As long as consumed appropriately, most people won’t experience significant side effects. Although delta-8 gummies are safe for consumption, always use good judgment regarding dosage. While taking too much isn’t toxic, you may experience heightened effects that can be uncomfortable.
4. There’s a Legal Gray Area for Delta-8 THC
It’s important to understand that hemp and cannabis products have different regulations. Currently, delta-8 THC is legal in most states because a bulk of it is derived from hemp. It’s federally legal as long as the hemp-derived product contains less than 0.3 percent of the cannabis.
However, there are still some states restricting the use of delta-8 THC, so it’s crucial to check the laws in your area. Keep in mind that you can find delta-8 products not derived from hemp plants, which might not be legal. Make sure your product is indeed a delta-8 product, not a delta-9 product, as they’re illegal.
Will drug tests detect delta-8 THC?
Generally, traditional drug tests can detect illicit substances in the body, including amphetamines, alcohol, barbiturates, opiates, and delta-9 THC. Although most drug tests may not detect delta-8 THC, remember that there are still testing methods that can recognize the substance.
If you’re going to undergo drug screening, make sure you know what substances you’ll be tested for. Whenever in doubt, your best bet is to avoid using any cannabinoid days before and until the drug test is over.
5. The Effects May Take Longer To Kick In
You may feel the effects longer, as with most cannabinoid-based edibles. Most users start experiencing the effects within or around 30 minutes. However, it may also take as long as two to four hours for the effects to peak.
Unlike what you’d expect with delta-9 THC, delta-8 THC won’t suddenly creep up on you and cause an onslaught of effects. Instead, what you’ll notice is the gradual onset of effects.
Are You Ready To Purchase?
With more people wanting delta-8 gummies, many sellers are rushing to feed the high demand. It means you need to have a discerning eye to identify high-quality ones.
Once you decide to buy your first delta-8 gummies, make sure to consider the following:
- Credibility – Check the company behind the delta-8 product you plan to purchase. See if they provide relevant details about who they are and how each product is made. Most importantly, look at reviews from their customers about the specific product you intend to buy.
- High-quality ingredients – You’ll know it’s a quality product when the supplier can provide you with the list of all ingredients used. Check the label if you’re looking for one made from all-natural ingredients.
- Intended use – What’s your purpose for buying delta-8 gummies? Try the small pack first for a quick trial, then move to a larger one gradually.
- Legalities – Before purchase, check for laws regulating delta-8 THC in your area. Find out what is legal and check if your supplier followed regulations.
- Potency levels – Check the potency levels of any delta-8 THC gummies you plan to buy. Most gummies in bulk come in 25 mg potency levels, but you can find some with far less or far more delta-8 THC. If this is your first time trying, it’s best to stick with a conservative, potent dose, like half of a single gummy.
- Third-party lab testing – This is important as you have to ensure that the product you buy doesn’t contain delta-9 THC. It wouldn’t only mean that the product is illegal but may also give effects you don’t want to experience. Whenever you shop for delta-8 products, make sure they go through third-party lab tests.
Skip the spaced-out feeling and overpowering grogginess and steer right to more desirable effects with delta-8 gummies. A wellness product should help relieve stress, not cause it. Make sure you buy high-quality ones to get the best bang for your buck.