Expert Tips for Choosing Between Sativa and Indica
For those who dabble every now and then, it can seem as though weed is weed, and there is not much in between. However, for the initiated, there are numerous factors at play when it comes to the plant.
The strain you choose will significantly impact the satisfaction you receive and the effects that you feel. But what are the principal strains, and how can you choose between them?
What Are The Effects Of Cannabis?
The effects of cannabis are complex because it can stimulate, depress, or do both. It may cause euphoria, relaxation, increased appetite, or impaired memory.
The effects of cannabis vary from person to person. Nevertheless, there are many benefits to using cannabis, including relief from chronic pain, glaucoma, cancer treatment, multiple sclerosis, and other conditions.
These effects are mainly caused by Tetrahydrocannabinol’s primary ingredient (THC). THC is a chemical found in the cannabis plant and harvested from the hemp flower. It is the active ingredient in marijuana that produces the effects common with weed.
When THC enters the bloodstream, it reacts with cannabinoid receptors in the brain. This reaction creates an intoxicating effect on users by increasing their heart rate, lowering blood pressure, and widening airways. Users can experience a broad range of outcomes depending on:
- The strain consumed
- If you are a regular user
- Your body weight
- The method of consumption
Which Strains Are Predominant?
In recent years, cannabis strains have been developed to contain higher levels of THC and CBD to help people with their medical conditions. They have also been designed with a broader range of flavors and smells to satisfy even more tastes. Strains are typically classified into three categories:
Generally speaking, Indica strains are better suited for evening use, while Sativa strains are better suited for daytime use. Hybrid strains offer an enjoyable mix of both Indica and Sativa properties so that you can use them at any time during the day.
The Indica strain of cannabis is a variety of cannabis originating from the Indian subcontinent, hence its name. It has a higher percentage of CBD and a lower percentage of THC. This balances out the effects and creates a body high that is more powerful than its counterpart, Sativa.
While Indica strains almost always contain higher levels of CBD and lower levels of THC, that doesn’t mean that they have small amounts of THC, just lower than Sativa strains.
You can achieve a calming effect by using the Indica strain of cannabis. It is typically the best option for people who suffer from insomnia, chronic pain, and muscle spasms.
Most people will smoke this option in the evenings to ensure restful sleep. In addition, it is a fantastic choice for those looking to decompress after a hard day’s work.
Indica might be the perfect choice for you if you want to experience the following:
- An overall feeling of contentment throughout your body.
- To become thoroughly relaxed and chill.
- To increase your appetite (try to keep your food healthy).
- Deep, restful sleep.
- To relieve minor aches and pains.
Indica is best-suited for the following activities:
- Watching a movie
- General chilling
- Play (certain) video games
- Listen to music
- Relax in a hot tub
- Hang out with friends
- Read a book
- Listen to podcasts
- Visit a spa (nothing beats a massage on an Indica high!)
- Get ready for bed
The Sativa strain of cannabis is known for its uplifting and energizing effects. Users report feeling more alert and focused after consuming Sativa. Sativa plants are taller and thinner than Indica plants which are short and bushy.
Sativa plants tend to have higher levels of THC, the psychoactive compound in cannabis, than Indica plants. Many people enjoy the effects of Sativa as it can make you more creative and active.
However, the aspects that make Sativa so beneficial also make it a terrible option for those looking for something more relaxing. Nonetheless, if you want to smoke during the day but need to remain alert and cognizant, this might be the best choice for you.
Sativa might be the perfect choice for you if you want to experience the following:
- A high that is mostly in your head, leaving your body active.
- To remain alert and ready for the day.
- An uplifting sensation of euphoria.
- A higher form of creativity that enables you to see things from a different perspective.
- Enough energy to follow through on your creative thoughts!
Sativa is best-suited for the following activities:
- Go outside for a walk
- Play (certain) video games
- Write something (story, journal)
- Drawing and art
- Hang out with friends
- Cook some delicious food
- Cleaning and organizing your home
- Have sex!
- Do some yoga
- Visit a museum
Although the two previously discussed strains are the most prevalent, it is not uncommon to find hybrid variations. Hybrid strains of cannabis are a mix of two or more different types of cannabis that have been hybridized together to produce a new strain.
Hybridization is usually done for many reasons but most often intended to create increased potency, higher yield, better resistance to pests and disease, or more significant variation in the effects.
The goal of a hybrid strain is to combine the best attributes from both strains to create a new, more potent, and higher-quality product.
The benefit of using a hybrid strain is that you can often find some that give you the best of all possible things you want to achieve. For example, you might want to relax with your friends but still have engaging conversations. Maybe you want to take a walk in nature but need the pain-relieving effects of CBD-rich strains.
Whatever you need, you can usually find, but be aware that you can fall down a rabbit hole of information if you are not careful!
How To Select The Perfect Strain
Now that you have a general overview of Indica and Sativa, you might still wonder which is suitable for you. Nevertheless, you will be able to choose the correct option if you ask yourself a few questions.
- What are you trying to achieve?: In other words, what do you want to get from your experience? Do you want to keep your faculties about you, or are you gearing up for a decent night’s sleep?
- Know your tolerance levels: No master the strain; you could find yourself freaking out if you opt for one that contains exceptionally high levels of THC. You should never forget that just because certain strains typically have lower levels, it doesn’t mean they have no levels!
- How will you consume it?: This is the final question you need to ask yourself as some methods will hit you faster and harder than others. For example, ingestion is usually a much more prolonged experience, while smoking will provide a quick hit but taper off more rapidly. So if you want a fun day out trekking in nature with your friends, Sativa-infused baked goods will be a better choice than an Indica joint (although you should bring some along if you are going camping!).
Indica and Sativa are the two most prominent strains of cannabis, and each has wildly varying effects. The option you choose will depend on what you want to achieve and get out of the experience. There is no correct answer; it is simply up to you.