If you are a regular smoker, you must be well aware of the importance of a clean bowl. However, it can be quite a hassle to clean a dirty bowl regularly if you do not know what you are doing.
Why Should You Always Use a Clean Bowl?
Before we dive into figuring out the best cleaning process for your glass bong or ceramic bowl, we must understand why it is all so important. When you start out with a brand new glass pipe or bong, it is clean and sparkly. However, with continued use, the entire pipe accumulates blackened residue that interferes with your smoking experience.
This residue, called resin, is the byproduct of the weed you have smoked. Whereas some people prefer to simply scrape this charred residue off, we will teach you how to clean a bowl piece the right way.
The Benefits of Using a Clean Bowl
Learning how to clean a pipe bowl is not simply a chore you must do. Here are the benefits you can reap once you know how to clean your bowl regularly.
It Is Safer
The lingering residue in dirty pipes is highly flammable. Therefore, it can be a serious fire hazard if you are not careful.
You can suffer burns on your hands and face while smoking. Moreover, if you leave the pipe unattended and it catches fire, you run the risk of burning down your apartment.
It Is Healthier
You must also know how to clean a glass bowl for your own health. The residue left in dirty pipes is highly carcinogenic. Consequently, never cleaning your glass pieces can lead to cancer after years of inhaling carcinogens.
Moreover, even though cannabis has its health benefits and medicinal uses, the same cannot be said for the residue in your dirty pipe. A resin hit can irritate your throat and prolonged smoking can give you a sore throat and a hoarse voice. Understandably, it also does not taste all that good.
It Performs Better
A dirty pipe bowl can obstruct the passage of smoke through the pipe. The dirtier your pipe gets, the worse your smoking experience becomes.
Therefore, learning how to clean a bowl piece is an investment in a better smoking experience every time.
It Tastes Better
The built-up residue tastes very bitter and unpleasant. As a result, it tarnishes the original taste, making it hard to decipher its quality. However, without all the resin and ash, the taste becomes so much more appreciable.
Methods to Clean Your Glass Pipe and Bowl
Now that we know how important learning how to clean a bowl is, we can get to all the methods you can use to do so.
Cleaning Your Bowl Using Rubbing Alcohol
For our first method, let’s look at how to clean your bowl using alcohol. You will need:
- Isopropyl alcohol
- Kosher salt
- A Ziploc bag
- A pipe cleaner
- Something to scrape off the residue with, for example, a needle, cotton swab, etc.
Ideally, try to use ninety percent isopropyl alcohol, or rubbing alcohol, for this method. The stronger the alcohol, the faster it will act to break down the remaining residue.
Here is what you need to do:
- Use a pipe cleaner or any other small object like a needle or paper clip to scrape off large pieces of residue from the glass piece
- Fill the Ziploc bag completely with rubbing alcohol
- Make sure the glass pipe is fully submerged in the alcohol
- Add 1 tablespoon coarse salt to the bag
- Shake the plastic resealable bag vigorously so that all the loose resin comes off
- Make sure the salt inside reaches all the crevices of the glass pipe by giving it a good shake
- Rinse the pipe and remove any remaining resin with a pipe cleaner, cotton swab, Q-tip, or paper towel
For extremely dirty glass pipes, the preferred cleaning method is to soak them in this alcohol and salt mixture for a few hours. The hardened residue softens and breaks away, making the pipe easier to clean.
Cleaning You Bowl Without Any Alcohol
We know what you are thinking. But how to clean my bowl if I don’t want to use alcohol.
Well, don’t worry. We got you.
Here is everything you need:
- Boiling water
- A pipe cleaner
Yes, that’s all you need to learn how to clean a pipe bowl without using any alcohol. This method is perhaps the easiest and most convenient of all.
Next, follow the following steps:
- Fill a pot with up to four inches of water such that you can submerge your pipe completely in it
- Bring it to a boil
- Lower the heat and maintain the water at a simmer so it does not evaporate quickly
- Now place your glass pipe inside this pot
- Soak the pipe for almost half an hour in this simmering water
- Rinse out the pipe and use the cotton swab to get rid of any leftover residue
For especially dirty glass pipes, you may need to repeat this procedure a couple of times.
Cleaning Your Bowl Using Baking Soda and Vinegar
Learning how to clean a glass bowl need not require many products. You can simply use household items and ingredients for this purpose.
A mixture of baking soda and vinegar is very fizzy and helps dislodge the resin. You can use it as the primary method to clean your pipe or use it prior to the above-mentioned cleaning methods to clean the pipe faster.
Here is what you need to do:
- Place the glass pipe at the bottom of a Tupperware container
- Add warm water to soak the pipe
- Add equal parts baking soda and vinegar
- Leave it for five minutes
- Finally, remove the remaining residue with cotton swabs
Alternative Products for Cleaning Your Bowl
How to clean a smoking bowl when you don’t have any of the products above? Here are some alternatives you can use.
Sand can successfully remove residue from the pipe. You can rub in the sand with the help of cotton swabs or a brush to unclog the glass piece, then use warm water to give it a final rinse.
Salt and Vinegar
Table salt and vinegar act much the same way as vinegar and baking soda. In just a few minutes, the fizzy reaction will dislodge the residue.
Denture tablets also produce a fizzy reaction in water. You can use them to make the process faster. Give the pipe a quick rinse afterward to properly clean it.
Similarly, you can use dish soap, lemon juice, or a specialty bong cleaning solution for quick cleaning.
how to Clean a Bowl: Helpful Tips
- To get rid of water stains, soak the pipe in warm water and lemon juice for 15 minutes and use a pipe cleaner to wipe it
- Do not immediately submerge the pipe in cold water after taking it out of warm water; let it air dry first.
- Freeze the pipe for a few hours to help remove the residue faster.
- Clean the bowl regularly to make the process quicker and easier.
Keep you Bowl Clean!
Learning how to clean your glass smoking accessories makes smoking a better experience. Besides, you lose nothing by being a little more responsible when you smoke weed; it only improves the taste.
Moreover, you can figure out the best way to clean a bowl for yourself with some regular cleaning. We hope you found this article helpful.