Dabbing is one of the trendiest ways to consume marijuana. It’s full of the strong flavor, making you high in one hit.
Marijuana is in for a long time. It’s now legal in most states as well. What’s more interesting is that you can use it in a lot of interesting ways.
If you want to take a step ahead from topical lotions, edible treats, vape pens, and joints, why don’t you try dabbing? Wait, we aren’t talking about that famous dance move you may have seen on the internet.
So without further ado, let’s roll on.
What is Dabbing?
Dab is the concentrated THC extracted from the cannabis plants. Likewise, making dabs involves the process of creating these extracts called rosin wax. It is relatively more concentrated than usual smoke.
Many people don’t know how to make dabs at home. Here, we will walk you through all the necessary details about rosin dabs.
A traditional cannabis joint contains 11% to 21% THC. Whereas, a dab contains more than 80% of THC. This raises the potency of the drug. Thus, the risk for harmful side effects also shoots up.
The THC conforms as a pale yellow or brownish rosin wax. It was named dab due to its gummy and sticky formulation. The rosin dabs are also known as shatter, crumble, honey oil, and butane hash oil.
Interestingly, you can consume rosin dabs in e-cigarette vape pens, unlike bulk cannabis. Due to this, dab is much more detrimental to health.
How to Make Dabs at home?
There are a variety of ways you can use to make a homemade dab. However, alcohol extraction is one subtle way to make dabs at home.
1. Alcohol Extraction
Solvent extraction is quite harmful. Only practice it if you are sure of what you are doing.
You can name this procedure as the QWISO process. You might know that QWISO stands for Quick Wash Of Isopropyl Alcohol; thus, you may think that we are going to use alcohol to make this method work.
But here, we can not just use any type of alcohol, we have to make sure to use +99% pure alcohol. Now you might think, what does it even mean?
That is much different from any hard drink you may have kept in your storeroom. Even, it is a lot different from the Everclear you may have spotted at the bottle shop. This is isopropyl alcohol which is not suitable for human consumption; thus, don’t put it in your mouth by any means.
Importantly, keep in mind that 99 percent of alcohol is flammable. Thus, do not handle it around an open flame.
Now, here is what you will require for making dabs at home.
- Hot water (after you boil it)
- A medium-size pan
- Unbleached coffee filters
- Metal mesh screen
- 99 percent to 100 percent concentrated isopropyl alcohol
- Several containers that are heat and freezer safe and can pour well
- 2.5 grams of your Favourite weed
- Keep it in a heat-safe vessel and dry the weed at 200 degrees Fahrenheit for at least 15 – 25 minutes.
- When the weed gets properly dry, keep it in the container of alcohol in the freezer for about four to five hours.
- Now, take the bottle out, once it is cold enough.
- Then, pour sufficient cold alcohol over the weed for covering it by at least one and a half-inch.
- Now, gently swish this mixture gently for about 20-30 seconds.
- Next, pour the alcohol through a mesh screen to set the bud apart from the alcohol. To keep all the focus on the alcohol, set the plant matter aside for now.
- After that, spill the alcohol through an unbleached coffee and filter it into any other dry jar.
- Then, compress the coffee filter to have all the remaining alcohol.
- Next, let the alcohol evaporate. There are three ways you can do this step:
- Leave a coffee filter over the top of the container for some time until the gas evaporates.
- Also, you can make use of warm water in case you want the results early.
- Likewise, you can keep the water bath on the stove at low to medium heat. Do this until you can see the liquid evaporate. Make sure that you do not boil the alcohol.
- When all the alcohol gets evaporated, get the wax out of the jar and place it in some parchment paper or a glass vessel.
- Now, you can enjoy the dabs!
2. How to Make Dabs with Ice Water Extraction
Ice wax dabs are the cleaner and more potent ones. It actually is a collection of ice and water, known as bubble hash, which is responsible for separating THC from the frozen plant. Upon filtering through micron screens with variable sizes, the final output is a fine grainy wax that almost looks like sand.
Here’s how you do it.
What You Need
- A bag of ice
- Marijuana matter
- One Spray bottle
- Bubble bowls or bags (different micron sizes) along with a work bag
- At least two buckets (large size)
- A thick and clean card (you can use old credit cards)
- A wooden spoon or stick
Preparation and Instructions
Firstly, collect the material from the marijuana plant. For higher quality, make sure the plant has sufficient trichomes. I also recommend hand-trimming and freezing the plant immediately to get the best quality Ice wax dabs.
For filtering your material, use 5-gallon bags with variably sized micron screens. You can also use bubble bowls, while the micron screens should ideally be between 70 – 160 microns. With more screens, you’ll get finer and purer dabs.
- Put the empty work bag in one bucket and stack the bubble bags in another one. Make sure that the larger bubble bag comes on top, while the smallest one is at the bottom.
- Now, in the work bag, make alternate layers of plant matter and ice, then fill the remaining space with cold water. Then wait for 10 minutes.
- Add some more cold water until it gets a soupy consistency. Then stir it with the wooden spoon for about 20 minutes.
- Allow the solution to drain into the bucket. You need to squeeze out the liquid.
- Now, pour this soupy liquid into the bucket with bubble bags. Make sure to empty the bucket completely, leaving no sign of the solution.
- Now, title the bubble bags at an angle. The mesh will start draining.
- Starting from the largest bubble bag, start gathering the material with the card. Use a spray bottle to clean the mesh. Then place the material onto a processing screen.
- Repeat the same process with other bags.
- When all bags are done, allow the material to dry for about a day and a half. For faster drying, chop it up and spread it.
Keep in mind that the outside layer has flavor and aroma. If you don’t want to lose too much CBD, terpenes, and flavonoids, do it speedily. Otherwise, the outside layer will wash away if soaked for a longer duration.
3. How to Make Rosin with a Hair Straightener (the Low-budget Method)
You can prepare rosin with cannabis, hash, or kief. Since it’s a DIY process (homemade rosin press), you’ll be needing some materials most of which will be available at home.
What You Need
- Cannabis flower (you can use kief or hash as well)
- Hair straightener
- Parchment paper
- Collection tool
- Heat-resistant gloves
Follow this Method
- Take a piece of parchment paper (4 by 4 inches) and fold it in half.
- Put the material into the folded parchment paper making sure it is completely covered.
- Press the paper lightly with your fingers
- With your hair straightener on the lowest setting, carefully align the buds inside the parchment paper. Along with that, apply firm pressure on the buds for about 5 to 7 seconds, till it makes a sizzle, an indication of the resin melting from the material.
- Now, remove the hair straightener, and also remove the sample from the hot surface.
- Open the folded parchment paper and remove the flattened nug. Use the collection tool to gather the sticky material carefully. You may need a few parchment papers to collect the large batches of rosin. Make sure to remove the plant material if you want rosin only.
- Fold the parchment paper with your product in between. Then flatten it according to your requirements.
How to Make a Homemade Dab Rig?
There are a couple of methods for making dabs at home. Here are some things you must have to make a homemade Dab Rig:
- Aluminum foil
- A titanium nail
- Mason jar with cap
- A pen
Steps to Follow for Making Dabs Rig at Home
You just need to start by getting a mason jar with a lid. Here are the complete steps:
- Make two holes opposite each other on the metal cover of the jar.
- Now, get some aluminum foil and cover the pen with it.
- After that, stick that pen to one hole of the lid for the down stem.
- Then, take the titanium nail and stick it either on the point where the nail touches the lid or the foiled downstem.
- Now, in another hole, stick a bendy straw to serve you as a water pipe. Cover the foil all over it to be sealed.
When you are done with all of the steps ahead, fill the jar with water alongside the concentrate of your own choice and keep it on the stove.
How to Use Dabs?
There are several methods to use dabs. Here are the most popular ones:
Keep in mind that concentrated dabs have a high CBD or THC count. Therefore, you should know your limit and don’t over-challenge yourself.
You will face a serious reaction if you take edibles more than necessary and you may even have to visit a hospital.
2. Blunt, Joint, Spliff
If your dabs are more of a hash form than a wax form, it’s okay as it is just concentrated weed anyway. Thus, you don’t have to worry much about it. You may crush a bit of dab into your joint, blunt, or even spliff before you close.
3. In a Dab Rig
The simplest approach to consume marijuana through dabbing is whether you have got bidder, shatter, wax, or some other type of concentration. Then, you may smoke it in a specific bong made for extracts called enail dab rigs, and there are different types: electric dabs rigs, portable rigs, and nectar collectors.
How Strong are Dabs Compared to the Cannabis Plant?
Cannabis plants usually contain about 15 percent to 25 percent THC concentration. You can either smoke or vaporize it, and this results in a mild high that lasts around one to three hours.
As mentioned earlier, there are a variety of names relevant to the practice of dabbing, with a range of dabs available in the market or you can make at home. Each of the types has its own unique set of features, pros, and cons.
Here are the eight most popular forms of dabs:
- Live Rosin
Generally, dabs are about 70 percent to 90 percent THC which is definitely not recommended for beginners.
Due to their potency, they make a fast yet strong high over the course of 30 minutes to one hour.
For the very first time dabbing, people are supposed to get a couch lock or pass out.
The Pros and Cons of Dabbing
Keeping in mind all other methods of cannabis use, we should take care of when dabbing. Here are just some pros and cons associated with dabs.
Let’s discuss the pros first:
- Due to the strength of the concentrates, dabbing has several medical benefits as it is an effective painkiller. This is why it has become very popular.
- Sporty consumers report a more prolonged high.
- You don’t have to consume a huge quantity of dabs. Just a small dab of the concentrate may treat your pains and aches instantly.
- Due to the potency of dabs, the highs from them may be very intense. Therefore, it is not recommended to pace yourself too much. Just consume a small quantity at once.
- The solvent extraction is quite harmful. If you are not an experienced chemist, it is best to consume the rosin dabs method or get ready-made concentrates.
- Solvents may be dangerous to the lungs and throat. They may also cause cancer.
Last Thoughts about Making Dabs
To sum up, dabbing is the ultimate fashion fad in the world of cannabis. If you want to get high in a little time, this is certainly the way forward.
Undoubtedly, the more cannabis you consume, the more wax you will get. If your companions regularly smoke marijuana, think about fusing it for getting more rosin wax.
All in all, dabbing is a trendy privilege if you want to consume marijuana. It’s a cost-effective method for the consumption of cannabis. However, you should keep an eye out for the risks and side effects.
I hope this article provided you with all the relevant details about the making of Dabs.